The Bell Restoration Committee
by Jay Bunyan
Ways in which the Committee helps parishes undertaking a bell restoration project
- A free copy of “Organising a Bell Restoration Project”
- An outline for a Parish Magazine article
- Ideas for a presentation to the community
- Ideas for an event to launch a project
- Loan of appeal leaflets and DVDs
- Contact with the local Bellringers' Guild
- Contact with other Central Council Committees
- Information about VAT, Gift Aid, tax efficient ways of giving and banking the money raised
- Contact, if desired, with other successful fund raisers elsewhere
- Ideas for community fund raising
- Details of grant- making bodies that might be supportive
- Assistance with completing application forms
- Loan of Dedication Service leaflets
We work with Guilds to support bell projects, and if desired, visit parishes with a Guild representative. We provide guildance notes on a variety of subjects for ringers and non ringers. These are available via the Central Council website - www.cccbr.org.uk
In 2015, grants were allocated to Christ Church, Bath, St Mary Magdalen, Taunton; Templecombe and Whitestaunton in the Bath and Wells Diocese, as well as to other towers across the country.
A seminar on Bell Restoration was held at Horsington in September, new Guidance Notes have been issued and a new edition of Organising a Bell Restoration Project is about to be published.
There are eight members on the Committee, each with a well defined area of responsibility, and these areas are reviewed on a regular basis.